Thus, LSK failed to break the series of matches at Marienlyst without a victory. Lillestrøm has to go all the way back to 2009 to find the previous league winner in Drammen.
Lillestrøm came to Marienlyst without a loss so far this season, but Godset won 3-0 on their own artificial turf thanks to goals by Ipalibo Jack, Kristoffer Tokstad and Lars-Jørgen Salvesen.
– We did not speed up anything today. It is such a match that comes sometimes, Geir Bakke told Discovery after the match.
Best after break
It was a close and even battle before the break, but after the break Strømsgodset took control of the match.
After 53 minutes, Jack stepped up on a corner from Herman Stengel, and he punished the “dead ball team” LSK on his own strength when he stabbed the ball in goal.
Later in the round, former LSK player Tokstad doubled the lead when he caught a weak involvement from Ifeanyi Mathew and knocked the ball into goal down at the post root.
In overtime, Salvesen punctured the match with a cannon shot. He got the ball out to the right and cut inwards in the field before he shoveled the ball into the net.
– I look forward to seeing it again, Salvesen said about the 3-0 score
The captain expelled
It was a bad day for the usually speedy Gjermund Åsen. The teams went for the halftime break at 0-2.
– I get a red card which makes me put the team in a difficult situation, and it means that we do not get a proper final sprint, Åsen said.
– I get a slightly long touch, and then I hit Hove with one foot. I thought it was a strict red card. But I totally lay flat because I put the team in that situation, the LSK captain continued.
In May, Godset went through six straight league games without a loss. After the “summer break”, it first ended with a 1-5 loss for Sarpsborg and a 2-3 loss against Gjøvik-Lyn in the cup.
– There are big differences between us, but I know that the key in Strømsgodset is that we are a united gang. We do not lie down and feel sorry for ourselves. We move on quickly and attack the next task immediately, said Strømsgodset coach Håkon Wibe Lund after the victory against the league leader.
Strømsgodset climbs up to 4th place with 20 points, while Lillestrøm retains the top of the table for the time being. Molde can take over with a victory in the postponed match against Jerv.