– This season is in many ways catastrophic, says basketball expert Frederik Gnatt to NRK.
The Golden State Warriors have won the NBA three times in the last five seasons.
The team has entertained with star players like Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Andre Iguodala and Draymond Green.
But now the reality is different:
With five wins and 21 losses, the California team is the worst of all in the NBA.
How did this happen?
The crucial moment
October 30, 2019. The Golden State Warriors play away against the Phoenix Suns. The San Francisco team is struggling and is behind by almost 30 points in the third period.
What was already a bad day for GSW was to prove disastrous:
The world’s best point guard, Stephen Curry, dribbles forward and walks towards the basket.
He jumps up against two defenders – but he does not get far and thunders on the ground.
Acutely he writhes in pain and holds on to his arm.
“Steph” Curry is three times NBA champion, twice named most valuable player and six times NBA “All-Star”.
But this day, the team’s undisputed ones break their arm and are out for several months.
– One player has a lot to say, and if you lose several, it has extremely much to say, says Gnatt.
Suddenly everything looked much worse for the world’s best basketball team, but the downturn started already last season.
– Not good enough for the NBA
Curry’s injury is not the only reason for the San Francisco team’s downfall. Several key players have been – and are out with injuries.
In the final game in June, Klay Thompson suffered a cruciate ligament injury.
It was another crucial moment for GSW, because the star player will probably lose the whole season.
The team also exists this year without stars such as Kevin Durant and Andre Iguodala, who disappeared from the club before the season.
Durant in particular is a big miss, according to the basketball expert.
– Durant, Thompson and Curry. When you are suddenly without three players who are among the very best in the entire NBA, then few teams had managed, Gnatt points out.
In addition, key players such as D’Angelo Russell, Kevon Looney and Draymond Green have struggled with injuries.
– It has been said that the team they have fielded is not good enough to be in the NBA. There are several first-year players, and they are not among the greatest talents either, says the expert.
A tactical game
According to Gnatt, the season is already almost over for the Golden State Warriors.
The basketball expert believes that the team is now only thinking ahead to next season.
– This is the paradox of American sports: If you are going to be bad first, you can be really bad. Now it’s just fine for them to be the worst team in the NBA.
The reason why? If you are the worst team, it can give an advantage when the team has to make player selections and changes. The chance of getting first in line increases.
– If you get a first, second or third choice in the “draft”, it has an enormous value, says Gnatt.
He believes that the team will now deliberately hold back players like Thompson and Curry so that they will be one hundred percent next year.
– I think they charge up for next season, where I funny enough think they will be the best team in the NBA again.