Brighton sent United home in shame and won deservedly 4-0 in Saturday’s Premier League match.
– We’re embarrassed
Moisés Caicedo scored the first goal of the match, before Marc Cucurella, Pascal Gross and Leandro Trossard completed the humiliation after the break.
– They played us out. They always had a solution. A little of everything went wrong. The quality, the mentality. This is something we are embarrassed about and must look at, says Bruno Fernandes after the match, according to the BBC.
Manchester United’s substitute manager Ralf Rangnick also lies flat.
– We can only apologize to the supporters who came all the way here, we were simply not good enough, Rangnick says to the BBC, and adds that he sometimes thinks it looked like the players had taken a summer break.
– Embarrassing to see
This was Brighton’s first home win in 2022, a very unexpected and impressive triumph for the team that has become known for not winning at home.
And an even bigger flaw for a United team that before the season had ambitions to be at the very top.
– In the name of heaven! Brighton play fantastic football, but as a contrast, United probably make the worst performance of the season. And it’s a bit of an achievement, football profile Gary Lineker wrote on Twitter about the United scam on Saturday night.
– It is embarrassing to see United in this constitution, is the clear verdict from former Premier League player Lars Bohinen.
When will the United Premier League win again?
The evening was completely dark for United, who now no longer have the theoretical opportunity to capture a top four position that provides games in the Champions League next season.
Towards own players
“You’re not fit to wear the shirt”, it resounded from the away fans to their own players when 0-4 became a fact in the second half.
That United’s absence, recognized as one of England’s best, is turning against its own team in this way, is one of the rarities.
But then it is also one of the rarities that United are ridiculed in the same way as they were on Saturday night.
Bruno Fernandes understands that the shouts are coming.
– I include myself in it. What we did today, and what I did today, is not good enough to wear the United kit, he says.
One can only imagine what incoming United manager Erik ten Hag thinks. He undoubtedly has a job to do if the Red Devils are to become a winning team again.
Now there is only one game left of what has been a gruesome season for the Old Trafford club. United end the season with an away game against Crystal Palace on 22 May.